Saturday, March 3, 2018

Broken Promise

Y'all.  I did a bad thing.  Or, rather, I didn't do the good thing that I said I would do.

I promised this friendly, funny, nice lady that I would post a blog about her restaurant.

Last November.

Our kids had other plans for Thanksgiving dinner, so we took a short trip to Glen Rose, Texas to stay at Tres Rios RV Park that week.  And I searched the internet for a restaurant that would be serving Thanksgiving dinner.  Didn't find exactly what we wanted in Glen Rose, but just a few miles down the road, in Walnut Springs, a little place called the Depot Cafe was open and serving pretty much everything we wanted.  It sounded like just our kind of place.

Walnut Springs is one of those tiny Texas towns with a few cool shops on the one main street, and nothing much at all anywhere else.  Except this cafe.  Not exactly right on the main street, but in the back of an antique shop, which was on the main street.  I think you can probably walk right through the shop to get to the cafe, but being Thanksgiving Day, the shop was closed.  So we drove around to the back, and walked straight into the cafe through the back door.

And it really was just our kind of place.

Tiny, homey, friendly, and very very country.

This is a happy man. His tummy is full of good food.

The food was wonderful.  Turkey and dressing and all the fixings, including dessert, for a very reasonable price.  Down home cooking at it's best!   But the owner's friendly personality is what we will never forget.  She was a hoot and a half!  

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of our meals.  But after we ate, I took lots of pictures of the little restaurant.  The owner told us she did all of the decorating and manual labor herself, and I think she did a wonderful job.














I'm so sorry that I didn't post this when I said I would.  We truly enjoyed our meal.  If you are ever anywhere near Walnut Springs, you should give it a try.  Here's a link to their Facebook page, where you can find their address and business hours.  


I think the lady that owns it is named Helen.  I had written in down, but of course, I lost the card that I wrote it on.  Anyway, I hope she sees this, and I hope she forgives my procrastination.

ON TO OTHER NEWS!

We have been trying to get away on another trip since the first of the year, but what with one thing and another, we didn't actually leave until last Tuesday.  I will intend to write more about this trip in a day or two, but here's a few hints about where we are right now:  Rivers, and bayous and swamps and alligators and gumbo!  That should give you a pretty good idea.  



No comments: