Saturday, August 18, 2012

True Confessions and ... Too Many Pictures?


True confession - sometimes I have a hard time seeing other people's point of view.  Oh, I understand that we are all different, unique individuals, and we all have different likes and dislikes, and that's okay.  As my sweet mother used to say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.  But I still don't understand why more people don't want to live in RV's!

  I have a king size bed, a gas range and oven, a microwave and refrigerator, 2 recliners and a sofa, and two televisions. Central heat and air conditioning, and even a ceiling fan.  (And my RV cost a whole lot less than any house!)  No yardwork, yet we've had some of the most beautiful "yards" in creation on this trip.  There's a place for everything and everything goes right back in it's place.  It takes me all of 15 minutes a day to keep this place clean.  And with all that free time, I can read, watch TV, work on crafts or on this blog, or go on adventures!

Have I convinced anyone yet?  Well, I'll keep trying!  In the meantime, here's some of our adventures from the past week.


This is High Falls Park, near Geraldine, Alabama, right down the road from our park.  We love this place.  Here's a link to tell you more about it.  http://www.seehighfalls.com/tour.htm





This is the back side of the falls.


After leaving High Falls, we went 10 or 15 miles down the road to Buck's Pocket State Park.  Cowboy dragged me down the hiking trail to this lookout point.  Nice view, but I was already worn out from hiking at High Falls. So was Charlie!  We sure were glad to get back to the 5th wheel this day!



This was the highlight of the week, (and the longest, most difficult hike yet!).  Noccalula Falls Park in Gadsden, Alabama.  The story goes like this:  Noccalula was a beautiful Indian princess in love with a nice local brave.  But her daddy the Chief arranged a marriage for her with a guy from a warring tribe, to insure peace and all.  So poor Noccalula, of course, had to go and throw herself over the falls, to her death.  Big Chief Daddy was devastated, and named the falls after his lost daughter.

(I hope these links work - I have no idea what I'm doing)

The Falls.

The Cowboy.

These steps go about halfway down to the falls.  The rest of the way is on a very primitive trail over rocky ledges.  Scary for old ladies!  I didn't make it all the way to the falls, but I did better than I expected.  Again, with the Cowboy urging me on all the way.

Cowboy, of course, wouldn't quit til he got to the falls.  He took this pic from behind the falling water.


But Noccalula Falls Park isn't all about the falls.  There is so much more.  There's a little village of restored buildings dating from as far back as the 1700's. 

This church/school building was my favorite. Can you see the cross on the door?

And, luckily, there's an adorable little train to carry you around the park.  You can get on and off at any of 3 different stops.  This was a very good thing, since, even with the train, we walked about three miles here.  And did I mention, the entry fee for this park was only $6.00 each?  Just $4.00 for seniors over 55.  And there were no extra charges for anything!  We have been so blessed to find so many free and inexpensive things to do on this trip. 


The grounds were beautiful, with so many plants in bloom everywhere.  Can someone please tell me what this bush is?  It looks like one we had on the farm when I was growing up.  I'd love to have another one.  Anyone?

They had a nice little petting zoo, with goats, a llama, and this sweet little deer.  There were other animals and birds, too, but not for petting.  My grandgirls would love this place!


The rest of the week hasn't been quite so exciting, but just as lovely in it's own way.  Mountain Lakes RV park is one of our favorite places to be.  Tim can fish and ride his bike every day.  There are lots of organized activities.  Cowboy has been playing in the ladder golf tournaments, and now he wants to build or buy a ladder golf game of his own. 

Rainbow Chapel is right here on the park property, and they have a very active congregation, and seem to have a very solid theology.  At least one of the regular members remembered us from last year, so that made us feel at home right away.

And, as usual, the neighbors are great.  RV'ers are almost always the friendliest, most down to earth people you'd ever want to meet.

Now are you convinced?






No comments: