Friday, April 17, 2015

Wimberley, Texas


Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for mankind.
Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people
and praise him in the council of the elders.
Psalm 107:28-32

Some days just don't go the way they are planned.  Some adventures turn out to be a lot more "adventurous" than we'd bargained for.

Two of the most helpful websites I use for planning trips are Roadtrippers.com and TripAdvisor.com.  Both also have handy-dandy apps, so I can find stuff on my phone when we're on the road.

Yesterday was going to be great.  Cowboy reluctantly left his fishing.  It was cloudy and cool.  I had checked the websites and made my plans.  First stop was Frank's Bait and Taco, a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant with rave reviews on TripAdvisor.  I love finding quirky little places like that.

But.  It was closed.  For some weird reason, they don't open until 2:00 p.m.  

No problem.  We're flexible.  There's lots of restaurants in Wimberley, where we were planning to go after lunch anyway.  To get there, we drove along the Devil's Backbone Scenic Drive, a lovely stretch of road.  You can see for miles.  Sheer dropoffs on each side of the road give way to beautiful green valleys.  Really, one of the prettiest drives in Texas, especially in the Spring.

We ate lunch at The Wimberley Cafe.  Good home cooking.  No complaints there.  Evidently, we were there on the local ladies' MahJong club day.  There were three tables of ladies playing MahJong.  I started to say "older" ladies, but they probably weren't much older than me.  Anyway, made me want to live in a small town and play MahJong with my girlfriends in the local cafe.  If I knew how to play MahJong.  And, really, I'm just assuming it was MahJong.  I don't know much about it at all.

After lunch we headed to Pioneer Town and the Cowboy Museum.  It also had great reviews on TripAdvisor.  And it sounded like something my Cowboy would enjoy.

But.  It was also closed.  Only open on Saturdays this time of year.

Oh, well.  They might have tried to keep Tim as an exhibit.  

Onward.

Next stop, Blue Hole Regional Park.  Closed for swimming, but the sign said we were welcome to walk around.  Perfect. It was nice to be able to explore without huge crowds.  I bet it gets pretty wild in the summer.

I'd wanted to walk around town, then go to Jacob's well, but by the time we left the Blue Hole, it was really looking like rain.  Sure enough, by the time we got out of town, the rains came.

Did I say rain?  Make that downpour.  Flash flood.  Waterfalls!

And then, there was the quarter size hail.

And that beautifully scenic Devil's Backbone drive?  Not beautiful at all, when you're fully aware that there are drop offs to the valleys below on either side of the road - but you can't see the side of the road!

It was intense.

It was very good for my prayer life.

And by the time we got back to the fifth wheel, it was over.

It had taken us a little over an hour to drive 32 miles.  I found out later that we had driven through the very worst part of the storm.

Luckily there doesn't seem to have been any real damage to the pickup or the trailer.  Or us.

Charlie was so glad to see us!  Can't imagine how he dealt with all the hail hitting the fifth wheel.  Poor baby dog.  



The calm after the storm.



I didn't get many pictures at the Blue Hole.  The sky was dark, and the water is shaded by all the trees.  Someday, I hope to have a better camera - and the skills to use it.




I loved these picnic tables.
 ( Brother, you really should do something like this at the camp.)

So, that's how we spent yesterday.  It's still threatening rain today, but my goofy  brave cowboy is back on the water.  In that silly dandy little inflatable boat.  He's caught a lot of fish this week, but he's still after "the big one."  

We're heading to Inks Lake State Park on Sunday, so we'll probably just kick back here at the park until then.  Getting closer to home!

Praying He stills all your storms to a whisper.


No comments: