Thursday, July 5, 2018

York, Nebraska and Pipestone, Minnesota

I think I have what real writers call "writer's block".  Except in my case, being unable to think of anything to write doesn't keep me from writing anyway.  Just don't expect a whole lot of wit or even anything that makes sense.  In other words, everything is just as usual.

The next stop on our epic adventure was York, Nebraska.  Where a thunderstorm tried to kill us, I swear.  The weatherman's forecast was for 70 mph straight line wind gusts and quarter size hail.  We didn't get the hail, but I'm pretty sure we got the wind.  During the first round of storms, around 6pm, we grabbed Charlie and went to the Wal-Mart about a mile away from our campground. Yes, I took my dog into Wal-Mart.  He smelled like wet dog, and I'm pretty sure I did, too.  And we both looked like drowned rats.  It rained hard.  After about 45 minutes the storm passed, and we drove back to the campground, which now looked like a lake.  But all of the RV's were still there, so that was good.

The second round of storms came around 11:00.  Tim was already in bed.  I stayed up, because no one (but Tim) could sleep through the wind and the thunder and the lightning.  I tried to concentrate on a book I was reading until the trailer started shaking and shimmying like crazy.  Then I ran and jumped in bed and woke Tim up and told him if we were going to die, we had to die together, and if I had to be awake for it, he did, too.  We didn't die.

And the next day the weather was fine.  So we went to see Lee's Legendary Marbles and Collectibles.( http://www.leeslegendarymarbles.com/)
According to Lee, it is "a lifetime collection of marbles and the largest collection in the world."  We've been to all kinds of weird little museums, and, well, this was one of them.  Kind of dusty, it's a combination museum and antique (junk) store.  But it was interesting.  I saw a marble for sale for $350.  He also had all kinds of marble games. 

I remember playing this with my Uncle Charles when I was a little girl.
 It was called Chinese Checkers back then. 
Is there a more politically correct name for it now?

The next day we left York and drove to Pipestone, Minnesota.  The weather was still good, and the scenery, mostly farm land, was surprisingly beautiful.  You can't just pull over on a two lane road with no shoulder when you're pulling a fifth wheel, but I took a few pictures anyhow as we were sailing down the road at 60 mph.  Hope you can tell how pretty (and green!) it all was.




And, finally, we were at our destination. You know those peace pipes the ummm...Native Americans were always smoking in old Cowboy and errr....Native American movies?  Well, the real deal, the pipes they passed around during ceremonies and the ratifying of peace treaties and such were made from a certain, reddish color stone found only in this part of Minnesota.  And that is why the town is called Pipestone.  We spent some time at Pipestone National Monument, and it was quite interesting.  But I still don't approve of tobacco.  Nasty stuff. I'm not sure they were smoking straight tobacco, either. We walked down the quarry trail, which was a very quiet and peaceful walk.  We had wanted to see the waterfall that was there in the park, but the trail to it was closed because of the heavy rains.



There were a few pretty wildflowers on the trail.

And a tree tunnel.  I love tree tunnels!


And bugs.

 
 I noticed that all the signage actually said "Indians".  I don't know why people get upset about that word.  Though it is confusing.  We have American Indian friends and we have Indian Indian friends, so there's that.  But, when I was little, my Uncle Charles told me we were descended from an Indian princess, so that made me an Indian princess. And I liked being an Indian princess.  Native  American Princess just doesn't have the same ring.  And Indigenous Peoples Princess just sounds plain weird.  Of course now that I'm all grown up, I'm pretty sure he just told me that because of my dark complexion and long dark hair.  But I still identify as an Indian. 
This mule statue was in front of a gift shop.  I don't know why.


The Pipestone Water Tower is a 132 foot tall concrete water tower. It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  It is unique because it is one of only two water towers in the United States designed by Architect L. P. Wolfe.  It was constructed in 1920.  The people of Pipestone are so proud of their water tower that they built a park around it.  They also celebrate their water tower during the Water Tower Festival, held in June.  We just missed it. 

We are still at Garden City.  I'm looking forward to telling you all about it, but not today.  I think I've finally run out of words.


No comments: