Friday, June 14, 2013

Ashdown, Arkansas

What a busy couple of days!  My plan was to stay around the RV park most of yesterday, letting Charlie Chihuahua get used to his new surroundings, and getting the 5er set up like I wanted.  But the Cowboy had other plans.  After fishing a while, then eating lunch, he wanted to go to Wal-Mart.  So off to Ashdown we went.
 
 
 
On the way, I got him to stop so I could snap a pic of this marker.  The place we are staying is Millwood Landing Golf and RV Resort
 
 
I got this pic from their website.  Pretty golf course.
 
 
 
 
.  Evidently, there was once a landing on Little River (where Millwood Lake is now), where steamboats could come from New Orleans to deliver supplies to the locals.  Just a cool little factoid.
 
 It's been a couple of years since we've been here, so we drove through town to see if things had changed much.  Looks like there's a new Family Dollar Store. 
 
We noticed the Two Rivers Museum the last time we were here, but we'd never gone in.  So glad we did this time!  It's a small museum, but they've done a great job with it.  Every place has some sort of history, and we enjoy learning about the places we stay.  This museum is especially nice, because most of the exhibits are not behind glass or ropes.  You can view most things from all sides, and even encouraged to touch a lot of it.
 
Loved the textiles exhibit, and the 19th century furniture.
 
I am so glad I don't have to do laundry in this machine!
 
 
There was a sign here that said to "open the doors and drawers" so I did.  Found all sorts of old timey gizmos and gadgets.  Sorry I didn't get any pictures.
 
Somehow, this old horse drawn hearse seems a like such a dignified to bid farewell to the dearly departed.  I bet it was the fanciest carriage most folks ever rode in.  Too bad they didn't get to enjoy it!
 
Well, we finally got to the Wal-Mart, bought a few odds and ends, and got back to the trailer.  The Ashdown Wal-Mart isn't the smallest Wal-Mart in the world.  That's in Georgia. (I googled it).  But it's pretty stinkin' small.  But it had pretty much everything we needed.
 
So, that was our yesterday.  Today was maybe the best day we've ever had RV-ing, but I'll have to journal that later.  It's past my bedtime now. 
 
How was your day?

No comments: